Thursday, February 5, 2009

Words don’t come easy to me today…

Sometimes it’s good not to say too much and rather try to listen. This has been such a day for me.
I have been watching all the different people working just outside my house. There are about 20 of them being busy on the road and at what will soon be a play ground. Half of them are Arabs and the other half is a strange mixture of Jews from many different parts of the world. I can see that they are from Ethiopia, Russia, Yemen and Iraq and that some of them are newcomers while others were born here.
The reason why there is such a mix has to do with the fact that there is no need for an academic education to do the kind of work that they do. What’s needed are muscles.
Many newcomers have problems learning the language and so the easiest jobs for them are the ones that do no require much talking.
I thank God for them. They are doing such a great job and it’s a pleasure watching them working side by side in peace.

Elin Elkouby

No comments:

Post a Comment