Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How to make God laugh.

An old woman once told her grandchild that “if you want God to laugh you should tell Him your plans for the future.”

If someone had told me this when I was young I would probably have been very disappointed. I had lots of plans and I took myself very seriously. I did not like to be laughed at.
Looking back on my life today, however, I must admit that I have been on “roads” that I had never planned for. I have enjoyed most of my “adventures” through life and there are very few experiences that I would have liked to “erase”.

One of the tourists participating on the last group I guided asked me ; “So what will you be when you grow up? ” He was himself a retired pilot who had not retired from life and who knew that God never retires anyone……
I am getting close to 50 and still feel that I have great appetite for wherever this “walk” will lead me next.
The first followers of Jesus were Jews. The name they choose for their fellowship was “The Way”. I can easily identify with such an aspect on life as a believer. The only focus should not be “Heaven”, but to see the opportunities that are placed right in front of our nose. We need to now where our goal is in order not to loose direction, but at the same time we should not be afraid to live while we do.
We go through “seasons” in life and we meet challenges that are not always easy or pleasant. Some have more difficult choices to make than others and life is definitely not “fear”. In the middle of this the “book that I never finish reading” promises that “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1.Chor;10,13)

I do not consider myself more clever than the One who created me. Still there are times when I shout to Him in despair and when I cry out in frustration and even in anger. –Some will say that it is not a very “Christian” thing to do to shout at God, but I am only a human being and never really tried to be a good “Christian”. –
One of the Ten Commandments sais ; “ You shall not lie.”, and I have always been very honest about being frustrated….If my own children are shouting at me I try to keep my mouth shut until “all the air is out” . Sometimes that is all that is needed for them to see the situation in a different light and to open their ears and willingness to listen. Sometimes after such a “storm” a hug is more appropriate than words as the quiet message of love can strengthen their inner cord more than a thousand lessons could ever do. Other times there is a need to use words in order to help sorting out the mess and to do teaching on standards in life. As a parent I will always prefer to be in a place where my children seek my company when they are confused.
I am confident that God is not less understanding towards me when I act out as a frustrated teenager in His presence.

But life is not just about sorting out hard feelings. I am very childish in my relationship with God and I let Him know that I see all “the flowers, the trees, the butterflies and everything else that adds color, taste, beauty and fun” to life as I walk along. I am constantly reminding myself not to take any of the good things for granted.

The Bible recalls Enoch “walking with the Lord” (Gen;5,19-24). His walk lasted for 365 years. A little girl was once asked by her Bible teacher to retell the story of this man using her own words.
Her version was this: “God and Enoch used to go for long walks together. One day God said “ We have come to a place where there is a shorter walk to my home than to yours.” Enoch enjoyed so much to be in God’s home that he never left .”

Elin Elkouby.

No comments:

Post a Comment